Long gone are the days when smart, bored kids would hack your computer for bragging rights. Today's cyber-criminals are in it for the money. The cyber-crime market is worth billions of dollars per year. And don't think that the cyber-crime we see today is orchestrated by the the rare super-intelligent computer geek. In fact, viruses (or exploits as they are called) are sold on the black market. This means that the barrier for entry into the world of cyber-crime is very low.
Now more than ever small business, and even home users, must use extreme diligence. There is a huge deficit of information where computer security is concerned. For most, throwing any old anti-virus program on the computer will keep you protected. Wrong! In fact, having anti-virus does not even rank on the top 3 most important things you can do to protect yourself online, according to a survey* of IT Security experts.
* Google survey entitled “...no one can hack my mind”: Comparing Expert and Non-Expert Security Practices
We are here to help! It's why we are in business. We protect the vulnerable! We do this in a few ways.
- First we provide the service and tools necessary to keep you safe on the Internet. Many of them are free.
- Second, we provide training and instruction so that you can protect yourself. You do not have to be a computer expert to follow simple rules that will keep you safe. Again, much of our guidance is free.
1. We will always put your security and safety first.
We will protect you. We hate it when the bad guys win and we'll do everything we can to make sure you are not a victim of phishing, hacking or viruses.
2. We will always leave you more tech savvy than when we came.
After a visit from Tech Next Door - because we train and explain - you will smarter and more confident than you were before we came.